EU POLICY REPORTERS
Job Summary :
Europe is in the spotlight – do you want to be at the heart of the action? Are you ready for a new professional challenge? Euronews is opening new offices, recruiting in Brussels, Berlin, Lisbon, Madrid and Rome. Unlock your European potential with Euronews: Join us to help transform the future of news in Europe! Since 1993, Euronews has led international news media in Europe*, creating a unique European identity and multilingual model delivered through 17 languages – with 12 bespoke editions and five branded affiliates. Impartial and independent, Euronews offers perspective from every viewpoint.
Euronews. Making sense of Europe.
*(Ipsos Global Media Survey 2022)
EU senior policy reporters will already be established EU affairs journalists with expertise and knowledge in one of the following fields: antitrust, trade, finance, health, industry or technology.
Policy reporters should have a network of established relations with EU actors, high-level policy makers, institutional and business leaders and influencers.
They should have a proven track record of uncovering exclusive news and also delivering in-depth articles on longer-term impacts of public policies.
Such reporters will play a key role in the editorial development and identity of Euronews coverage of policy themes. They will be representatives for Euronews’ newly extended policy coverage within the network of EU actors, connecting with opinion leaders, influencers, and contributors.
The role also requires liaison with audience insight, marketing and advertising teams. Working together to understand audiences, develop editorial strategy and engaging content. The reporters will participate in events and discussions that galvanize interest in policy coverage, and encourage growth of the audience for policy news.
With support and input from a team of digital experts, events and senior stakeholders within
Euronews, policy reporters will be well placed to create and implement new ideas.
Successful candidates will be those capable of building a distinct identity in their coverage, editorial output and honing audience growth.
In addition to senior reporters, a number of policy reporter positions is available for those with less but similar market experience.
Euronews policy reporters report to the Editor in Chief European Policies.
Policy reporters are responsible for:
- Covering EU policies in their domain, delivering a range of breaking news and in-depth articles, videos (one-offs + series), photographs, and social media content.
- Senior reporters will help frame the agenda for news coverage.
- Highlighting the synergies between European and international policies.
- Proposing multimedia story ideas and editorial production in the field of the thematic vertical and in accordance with the editorial line.
- Conducting interviews with policy makers (European Commissioners, MEPs), business leaders and industry experts.
- Hosting events, both face-to-face and online.
- Ensuring timely publication of content.
- Using audience data and working closely with digital products, sales and marketing teams, to create and implement a digital content strategy that contributes to meeting Euronews editorial and commercial goals.
- Relationship building to establish and maintain strong relations with industry stakeholders via personal contact, participation in industry events and activities such as conferences, launches, meetups, panels, etc.
- Identifying and verifying sources of information, processing collected data.
- Creating articles and digital content according to the production schedule defined with the Editor in Chief.
- Enhancing or expanding a story with interactive digital items, for example with infographics or maps.
- Mastering writing and production methods for digital media (SEO, copyright…)
- Participating in the development of innovative and engaging editorial products for the Editorial team.
- Education level required: 4/5 years’ higher education – journalism qualification or equivalent.
- For senior positions 6 years of journalism experience in EU affairs with at least 4 years covering the intersections of politics and public policy in the specific domain antitrust, trade, finance, health, industry or technology. Policy reporters should have at least two years’ experience reporting in the relevant field.
- A proven track record with examples of breaking news and longer form analyses.
- Excellent command of English (C2); command of French and other languages spoken at Euronews is an asset.
- Significant practice of social networks and digital news platforms
- Mastery of digital editorial practices and techniques
- Experience in the design and development of editorial projects
- Writing languages on different web platforms and publication in different formats (text, video, images…)
- Core competency: translating technical and legal jargon, political language into understandable and attractive English
- Knowledge of content management tools (software…)
- Knowledge of essential digital media tools, such as news analytics
- Mastery of writing various news from breaking exclusive content to longer form analysis
- Mastery of video design (infographics, imagery…)
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and use audience analytics for content development.
- Aptitude for planning and setting priorities independently.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to work across multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to meet deadlines and be a team player.
- Knowledge of other European languages much appreciated.
- An interest in developing broadcast skills and producing multimedia content.
- Organizational skills
- Listening skills and service orientation
- Curiosity - Creativity
- Ability to work in a team and exchange ideas.
- Good stress management
- Contract type: permanent under local law (CDI)
- Location: Brussels
- Start date: October 2023
- Working hours: full time, Monday to Friday
- Flexibility: work occasionally on weekends or at night.
If you meet these criteria and the position interests you, please apply online with a CV, motivation letter and example of your work.
This is an equal employment opportunity and applications will be dealt with utmost confidentiality and will be strictly reserved for the use of this specific recruitment.
Talent Acquisition Team